Saturday, January 22, 2005

Domain Registration - Brainstorming Domain Names

Affiliate Programs :: Domain Registration

Eventually every affiliate marketer decides to register a domain name. I personally have over 200 domain names registered, but I'm going to let most of them expire this year. I always have more ideas than I have time to implement them. But I've definitely developed some distinct ideas about domain registrations, and I think a lot of other people are opinionated about domains too.

Hyphens. These are on a lot of people's minds. Should I hyphenate my domain name, and if I do, how many hyphens is okay. A lot of folks claim that you get a boost in the SERP's from having a hyphen between your keywords in your domain, because it clues the search engine that those are two separate words. My theory is that most search engines already (and if they don't, then they will soon) are able to distinguish the keywords in a domain with or without the hyphen. I do think that more than one hyphen makes your domain look spammy and less authoritative.

Keywords or brands? I'm of the opinion that most of us will never own a domain name that becomes a brand like Coca Cola. So yeah, I think you should go with keywords in your domain over something really clever and memorable like Overture. Although if you can get your keywords in your domain name AND make it memorable at the same time, even better.

Recommended Places to Register Domains

Dotster - You can register domains for as little as $15.95 a name here, and their customer service and software interface is state of the art. As they say, why pay twice as much?

Domain Maniac - Domain Maniac offers $15 domain registrations, and they're one of the most popular registrars on the web. Highly recommended.

Mega Domains - I haven't used their service personally, but I know they have a great reputation. If the other two don't suit your needs, be sure to give Mega Domains a look.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home