Tuesday, July 26, 2005

SEO Tip - Absolute Links versus Relative Links

I'm not, by any means, the master of SEO. But one thing I've learned is that absolute linking is better for the search engines than relative linking. Some folks might be wondering what the difference is. (I did when my mentor told me to get rid of all my relative links and move to absolute links.) So here's the scoop:

An absolute link includes the full destination URL in the html code for the link. An example would be hxxp://www.example.com/example-interior-page.htm.

A relative link doesn't include the full destination URL. A relative link looks something like this: ../example-interior-page.htm.

The reason that the absolute link is better than the relative link is because some search engine robots, some of the time, will get confused by relative links, especially if there are a lot of them, and might index your site poorly, or worse yet, rank your site poorly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home